Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

Today has been quite a productive day at my house. I sit here typing with my sweet puppy in my lap and my belly full of goodness (I actually cooked for the first time in weeks!). Btw, if you need good recipes, I strongly recommend MyRecipes. It's a fabulous site full of wonderful recipes for every cook, from the experienced to the novice.


I woke up quite late this morning, 2 hours after my alarm was set to go off!! Normally, I wake up with the first alarm and begin my day. But since I've started working nights, my body is completely off its internal clock. I rarely hear alarms anymore and I sleep for 10-12 hours at a time. It's quite scary not knowing if I'll wake up in time to get things accomplished, or even make it to work on time! Before night shift, I used to be a part of the 5 o'clock club. During nursing school and while I was a day shift nurse, I would frequently get up early to spend time with my Savior before going into work or about my day. It made such a huge difference in my everyday life, my attitude and my personal relationship with the Lord. I haven't quite figured out how to incorporate this into my night schedule yet, but I'm trusting that somehow it'll happen. Or that I'll get moved to a day shift position. Either one will work for me!

Wedding plans are continuing full speed ahead now. I managed to get in touch with all my bridesmaids with important details, talk with the photographer, get with musicians and schedule dates with my florist/decorator. Whew! Planning a wedding is a lot of hard work and it's soooooo time consuming. There are days that I wish I had thousands of dollars to pay someone else to worry about all these little details.

When Nate and I started planning for the wedding, we both wanted an extravagant affair. However, after considering our options and the large amount of money that weddings cost, we started to scale back. We both agree that there are other more important things we would like to spend our money on (such as our house!). I also have been feeling very convicted about spending so much money on trivial things when there are people in this world who have true needs like shelter, food, clothing, healthcare, etc. We are desperately trying to find the balance between a nice wedding we will we both enjoy and being financially wise.

Speaking of being financially wise, I have recently started trying to organize my finances using Quicken and Mint. I am, admittedly so, not a money person. I've never managed money well and it has always managed me. So in light of being a good steward, I am following the advice of my mentors and getting some help! This has not been an easy process. However, I know that my efforts to be a good steward will be blessed!

I've also been trying very hard to create order in other parts of my life. This does not come naturally to me and I envy those of you who have that knack for organization! *ahem...mom* It seems that everything in my life is constantly piling up. Doctor's appointments, finding a new dentist, insurance, renewing my driver's license, getting my address changed, new cell phone plans, volunteering at the church, getting B groomed and healthy, pre-marital classes, starting an exercise program (does Wii Fitness count?), eating healthier (I bought V8 fruit juice last night), getting my daily water in, quitting Dr. Peppers, grocery shopping, cooking and planning meals, cleaning my house (I recently discovered Seventh Generation products, which I love!), planning the remodel on our house (thank God for HGTV) and trying to fit a full time job in the midst of all that as well. I get overwhelmed just writing this! I fear my to-do list will never be done.

Through this busy season my comfort is this: God orders the seasons of my life (Ecclesiastes 3:1). This season of "business" is no surprise to Him. So in preparation for the chaos tonight will surely bring, I'm headed to take a short nap!

-Ashley

0 comments: